Empress Elisabeth of Austria often stayed in Cap Martin – either at the Grand Hotel or in her friends' private villas – and this monument in her honour was inaugurated in 1899. The dates of her stays are engraved in Roman numbers under the main inscription towards the top of the obelisk. This simple, harmonious edifice by architect Hans Georg Tersling stands in a delightful spot between some maritime pines and the sea. The last lines of one of Mrs De Montgomery's poems are inscribed on the obelisk's stylobate.
Associated Walking Tour :